Arians to undergo heart surgery after cancer scares

Super Bowl–winning NFL coach Bruce Arians will undergo heart surgery next week after doctors identified an issue during routine checks following multiple cancer scares, the 72-year-old confirmed on Thursday. The procedure will be carried out in the United States, with Arians expected to make a full recovery.

Arians, who led the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to the Super Bowl title in 2021, said the condition was caught early. “I’m feeling good and grateful we found it when we did,” Arians said, adding that the surgery is “preventive and necessary.”

Buccaneers officials voiced support, noting that Arians remains in close contact with the franchise. “Bruce is in great spirits, and we’re all behind him,” a team source said.

A longtime NFL figure, Arians has previously battled cancer scares involving his kidneys and skin. Former quarterback Tom Brady also sent his support, saying, “Bruce is a fighter. He’ll be back strong.”

Arians stepped away from full-time coaching in 2022 but continues to serve in an advisory role.