Carlsen admits FIDE rift ahead of Rapid return

Magnus Carlsen is back on the starting list for the FIDE World Rapid & Blitz Championships in Doha, Qatar (Dec 26-30), but he admits relations with chess’s governing body remain strained after last year’s “jeansgate” dispute. “As for my relationship with FIDE, I wouldn’t say that it’s great,” the world No.1 said ahead of the event.
Carlsen stressed his decision to play is rooted in Doha connections rather than politics. “My family and I have had a great relationship with Mohammed and the organising committee here,” he said, adding that being in Qatar again “was a massive factor” in his return.The Norwegian also pointed to the competitive pull: “Nothing except my best is acceptable.” The tournament offers a prize fund of more than €1 million, and Carlsen’s comeback ensures the spotlight will be as intense off the board as on it.